Banded Coral shrimp, sex ID

Tema en 'DSB, ReefEcology, & Invertebrates' comenzado por Plancton, 24 Noviembre 2005.

1. Plancton

Plancton Líder del arrecife

Se incorporó:
    23 Febrero 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Hi , I bought one coral banded shrimp thinking it was a male, it was small and skinny, it would only come out at night. Then few months later I bought another one thinking it was a female, since it wasn't skinny, and had a yellowish abdomen.

After introduction to the tank, the older banded coral shrimp started to come out, to my surprise, it had molted and was a bit bigger than the one I just bought, I noticed it was not that skinny, and the abdomen was yellowish too.

Both coral banded shrimp, have transluscent yellowish abdomen. If I look from under them, I see only transluscent yellow.

Here is a picture of one of them, they both look the same

[​IMG]

I knew female coral banded shrimps were supposed to have greenish, blueish bellies. Well, the ones I have, both have yellowish translucent bellies, not actually green or blueish transparent ones.

The older one was attacking the new one, the new one lost many arms, so I changed it to the fuge, thinking otherwise it would die. After I changed the new one to the fuge, it shed its old skin right away. And then I saw it not completely molted, and it was more transparent, Then I saw its torso that now was greenish instead of yellowish. I took a picture.

[​IMG]

So, is it a male or a female?. Could a male also have this greenish color?

I have heard that is almost imposible to form a couple in a normal aquarium, but other people say they have been succesful, and I don't know if I should give it a try.

2. Jorge_Marino

Jorge_Marino CAMarada

Se incorporó:
    9 Febrero 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    Estudiante de Biologia (Licenciatura).
    Well about the sex differences I really don´t know, but what I do know is that you can´t have two of these shrimps in the same tank unless its big enough. Only this way they won´t be aggressive towards each other since they are very territorial. Another way is to buy mated pairs this way they won´t fight each other. If your lucky enough to find a mated pair they will reproduce often like you have heard. :deal:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Acerca de la diferencia de sexos, no lo sé, pero lo que si se es que no ´puedes tener a dos de estos camarones en el mismo acuario a menos que sea lo suficientemente grande. Solo de esta manera no serán agresivos entre sí ya que son muy territoriales. Otra forma sería adquirir una pareja, así no pelearian entre ellos. Si tienes la suerte suficiente de obtener la pareja, se reproduciran constantemente como has oido. :deal:

3. allancaza

allancaza Patrón de las profundidades

Se incorporó:
    19 Julio 2002
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    tecnico telefonista
    Página web:
    both are females!

greeting!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ambas son hembras!

Saludos !!!!

4. Plancton

Se incorporó:
    23 Febrero 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Gracias. Alguien mas con una segunda opinion?, males or females?

5. LordRiper (Salim Giacoman)

LordRiper (Salim Giacoman) Veterano de las profundidades

Se incorporó:
    17 Septiembre 2003
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    Sistemologo
    Página web:
    Tomale una foto de la panza, se le ve el organo reproductos (no recuerdo el nombre), es morado....

6. rshimek

rshimek CAMarada

Se incorporó:
    2 Noviembre 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    Invertebrate Zoologist/Marine Ecologist/ Reef Aqua
    Página web:
    Hi,

It appears the first shrimp was immature, an essesntially sexless juvenile. It probably grew into maturity in the tank as a female.

When the second shrimp was added, the first one came out to fight for its territory.

Both shrimps were likely initially immature females. The injury to the second shrimp triggered the molt as a way to repair the damage inflicted upon it. During the molt the animal also probably attained sexual maturity. The blue coloration is a result of egg production, which I suspect was triggered by the presence of the other shrimp. The first shrimp will also likely molt to sexual maturity.

The actual characters used to separate the sexes:

Males have their gonopores (openings to the reproductive system) at the bases of the 5th (last) pair of legs. The male abdominal appendages have thin, spike-like, spurs (you may need magnification to see these).

Female gonopores open at the base of the 3rd pair of legs. The female abdominal appendages are "leaf, or paddle, shaped."

7. Plancton

Se incorporó:
    23 Febrero 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Thanks. What would be your advice on what to do?, place the one I changed to the fuge, back into the main tank where the other one lives?

8. rshimek

rshimek CAMarada

Se incorporó:
    2 Noviembre 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    Invertebrate Zoologist/Marine Ecologist/ Reef Aqua
    Página web:
    Hi,

These animals are quite territorial. In a normal-sized tank, say less than 500 L, 2 females will generally fight until one of them is dead. I would trade one of them back to the fish store, or keep them separated.

9. Plancton

Se incorporó:
    23 Febrero 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ok, so then we can say that maybe both are females right?. What if I change one for a male?

10. allancaza

allancaza Patrón de las profundidades

Se incorporó:
    19 Julio 2002
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    tecnico telefonista
    Página web:
    Toma en cuenta la sexualida y la calidad del agua en tu urna.

Esta claro lo que mencionas de ehmbra y macho el color del abdomen.

Un saludo!

11. biker977

biker977 Adicto al arrecife

Se incorporó:
    25 Febrero 2005
    Me gusta recibidos:
    Ocupación:
    contador publico
    CUANTO QUIERES POR ESE BANDEADO HEMBRA PLANCTON?

¡Ayúdanos! Comparte en:

Cargando...